J&J denied all the allegations. The vast majority of these blame the company's products for causing women to develop ovarian cancer. It won the only other asbestos-related trial in November when a Los Angeles Superior Court jury ruled in its favor.
Stephen Lanzo says that he could have been inhaling asbestos each time he used the products including Shower to Shower and Baby Powder.
A jury awarded $30 million to the husband, along with $7 million to Lanzo's wife. The New Jersey verdict is the first trial loss for J&J in a lawsuit over claims that talc products contain cancer-causing asbestos, Reuters reported.
Lanzo is also the first male plaintiff in a talc-related trial involving J&J.
JNJ stock fell 2.5% on Friday.
Talcum powder is made from talc, a soft mineral found in deposits often located near asbestos deposits.
Johnson & Johnson will be liable for 70 percent of the damages with the other 30 percent falling on France based, Imerys Talc, a supplier of the mineral. Gwen Myers, an Imerys spokeswoman, said Imerys plans to appeal and is confident talc did not cause Lanzo's cancer. Colgate-Palmolive Co. agreed past year to settle a lawsuit claiming its talcum-powder products caused a Pennsylvania woman to develop mesothelioma.
Johnson & Johnson maintains that its products are not carcinogenic and have never contained traces of asbestos fibers. J&J is seeking to reverse the other verdicts.
First Luxury Hotel in Space Expected to Launch By 2021
Still, $9.5 million is $9.5 million, so it does not look like a space vacation will be popular among regular families just yet. It plans to offer fully chartered trips to space agencies and support zero gravity research and space manufacturing.
According to Lanzo's lawyers, officials of J&J and Imerys, its talc supplier, were anxious that asbestos were tainting talc and other products as early as 1969. In California, a jury awarded a now-deceased woman $417M.
Throughout a lengthy trial that began in late January, attorneys for the Lanzos accused J&J of withholding information from consumers about the health risks of asbestos in its talc-based products for almost half a century. An upcoming trial contending cancer from the use of talcum powder is scheduled for May in SC.
"In addition, there is no evidence to suggest that talcum powder increases the risk of other types of cancer", the council's experts say.
The US National Toxicology Program, part of the US Department of Health and Human Services, has not fully reviewed talc as a possible carcinogen.
More than 2,500 people are diagnosed with the condition each year in the US.
Unfortunately it's rarely possible to cure mesothelioma, although treatment can help control the symptoms.
Mesothelioma is a deadly form of cancer closely associated with exposure to asbestos. It usually takes a while for this to cause any obvious problems, with mesothelioma typically developing more than 20 years after exposure to asbestos.